Romney In Wilminnton DE

Romney In Wilminnton DE

Monday, April 14, 2008

Greetings from Wilmington "where the sky is grey, the people are homeless, and the Duponts rule the world." However, dirty the people and the city may be I am beginning to learn how to enjoy Wilmingtons inner beauty. I love seeing the people that I serve overcome their environment and rise to something more than a drug dealer or a crack addict. It is these few people who give the little they have that inspire me to give the all of what I have. To what people here overcome, all that I can ever hope to do, all that I have trancended--- my ADD, my depression, and my dyslexia--- is meaningless and pales in comparison to what some individuals do. I have learned so much this week. Elder Hernandez and I have been working extensively with the ward members and less active members to home teach. I am greatful for their dedication. This week has also rendered many oppurtunities to work with members who are not of my culture. Elder Hernandez has a gift and a real connection with West Africans; especially those from Liberia. Sister Gbaye (a Liberian convert) has named me Chandhe, which means to learn. When I asked why she named me that she said that I needed to learn how to teach better. Im just joking but she wouldn't tell me why she named me that. We also tracted into another West African family named the Miracoys. We taught them a first and they were very kind and nice; however we could tell that they did not feel connected to us. However, because it is West African tradition to feed anyone who enters your house the graciously seated us and gave us their finnest china. There was a bowl of mysteriously colored soup in front of me. I began to play use my spoon to look further into what the soup contained. Suddenly I looked into my bowl again and there was a fishes head smiling right back at me. There was also the foot of a pig and the intestine of a cow. I saw Elder HErnandez go right ahead and eat on up and then I realized taht I would have to follow suit. When finished the meal the whole atmosphere of the room had shifted from one of akwardness to one of love and compassion. The father of the home looked up at us and proclaimed that we were true men of God because we were willing to eat his food without hestitation. This small act and sacrifice has led to hours of success with the miracoy family. I love them and I also love their food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

intestine...sounds like you sir had your first taste of what we black folk call chitlins...