Romney In Wilminnton DE

Romney In Wilminnton DE

Thursday, September 25, 2008

August 28, 2008

Dear Family and Friends,
Greetings from Northeast Philadelphia "where the blue color man still exists and the residents still speak with an accent." Prior to comming to this area I had thought that the Philadelphian accent was a myth. Simply something that you had told to me to entertain. However, since I have been in this new area I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the phrases, "yous guys" and "wuter." The accent of the natives can really be heard when they get mad. For instance when a six foot four blond haired missionary and his companion knock on their door they usually reply "yous guys get the heck off of my porch." Occassionally, kinder individuals ask if we would like some "wuter"
This week has been one of success. We have the rare priviledge of working with individuals who have been inactive for many many years. One of these families are named the Mccrorys. They like many of the individuals of our church were converts. However, after their baptism they began to flourish. Within two years they were sealed in the temple. Brother Mccrory was activily participating in Elders quorom and fulfilling his responsibility as a priestholder. While sister Mccrory was called as a relief society.
But, alass, the years went by and with it came the burdens of parenthood and church callings. The trials began to build upon each other and the Mccrorys slowly slipped back into their old habits. Time progressed and the visits from the bishopric and other members of the ward began to fade as well and the Mccrorys well. Inactivity had claimed the salvation and progression of the family.
About four weeks ago the Relief society president gave us five families to work with and one of them were the Mccrorys. For the first two weeks Elder Covington and I tried to repor with them and eventually we did. However, neither one of us had the gumption or the strength to be bold and ask them why they had not come to church in eight years. Then, at zone training there was a lecture on being bold and the importance of doing so.
We decided that we would be bold with the truth. We decided that we would not beat around the bush, but rather find out their concern and testify boldly about how they needed to come back to church. At the end of our next lesson we did so and immediately the family responded with their concern we then addressed that concern and testified boldly about how they needed to come back to church. After the lesson it was unsure whether they would return to church or not.
Last Sunday we arrived at church and the Mccrorys were nowhere to be found. We waited and waited but to no avail. Finally we decided that we would take our seats. We had lost. Midway into the sacrament meeting, I noticed a door open and to my surprise and to my liking there stood the Mccrorys dressed in a sunday atire that had been yearning to be worn for eight years. This was quite exciting.
Since this experience has happened both Elder Covington and I have been bold with every individual that we meet. We cut to the chase and it has gone surpisingly well. It really has saved us a great deal of time and energy. Either the people are interested or not. If you ask "why havent you been to church," tell you why and they are not at all offended. When you ask "do you want to come back" they tell you either yes or no. Its quite interesting. So family if you ever have any trouble with less actives just be striahgt up with them and testify to them and it will all be alright.
While this week has been one of great success, it has also been one of hardships. I feel as though I am constantly angry and upset. I am quite homesick as well. Please pray for me. I need your prayers.
Bradford great job on doing your homework. Keep it up big guy. I remember I started doing my homework my junior year and my grades shot up. It was great. Try not to hastle mom about going to seminary. Just go, be mad, and dont tell anyone. Thats what I did for four years. It really isn't worth anything to be upset. Mom won't let you ditch out on seminary. Its just not going to happen. Dad I found out that Hindu's believe in one god in many forms. Also the Behai are the most meek yet frustrating people I have ever encountered. Mom I have given a couple of PH blessings. I am sending you pictures via snail mail. I well thats all I have. I am out.

No comments: