Romney In Wilminnton DE

Romney In Wilminnton DE

Monday, May 19, 2008

May 19, 2008

Greetings from WIlmington, "Where the only mountains you will see are Baptist churches (i.e. Mt. Zion Holy Epsicople Trinity Church/ Mount Faith Hill of the Apostles)." In all of my days I have never seen so many churches. Big churches, small churches, round churches, square churches, churches that meet in amphitheaters, churches that meet in basements; I have seen them all in Wilmington.
This last week Elder Witt and I were walking in downtown WIlmington and we spotted what appeared to be a club. When we looked closer, we discovered that the club was actually a church adorned with black lights and neon pictures from the New Testament. We decided that we would go in to explore the church. The moment I set foot in the building my nostrils detected the familiar and potent smell of a cracked out hobo (which smells like a mixture of BO, dirt, sulfuric acid, and alcohol). When I looked in the room, my eyes confirmed what my nostrils smelled. There were a group of homeless men dancing around in a prayer circle. To the side of them was a band of raggedy- looking musicians providing a disjointed melody for the hobos to dance to. Scattered throughout the group of homeless men were a few well- dressed teenagers. Elder Witt and I looked at each other with a confused grin. Immediately a well dressed teenager asked us to join in the praise dance. We declined and went off on our merry way without any explanation of what the heck that church was. I doubt that I will ever see such a weird thing again.
Church corruption exists everywhere. In fact if I were not Mormon I would go into this most profitable profession. Right next to our home is a large church called the tabernacle full gospel. The pastor there is a very rich man. He drives a Bently and probably lives in a very nice house. His congregation, however, are among the poorest people in Wilmington. I talk to people who live in projects and on the streets. His house was built by the blood sweat and tears of these poor individuals. It is pathetic.
Reid, Los Angeles is legit. I am so glad that I am on a mission because it is the reason why the Lakers are winning. The Lord has seen my sacrifice and is blessing the Lakers with a championship ring. Tivo the games so I can watch them when I get back.

No comments: