Romney In Wilminnton DE

Romney In Wilminnton DE

Thursday, July 24, 2008

July 24, 2008

Dear Family 
Greating from Northeast Philadelphia "where the Catholics and Muslims collide. Sunday night was transfer calls and I anxiously awaited to hear from my district leader. However, as the night progressed I realized that I would not be getting a call and I went to bed. Then at twelve o'clock on sunday I got a call from Elder Herbert my district leader informing me that my bags needed to be packed by nine o clock tommorow night. I asked where I was going and he said he had no clue. On Tuesday morning I arrived at transfers and was told by president Murray that I would be headed up to Northeast Philadelphia to open up a new area called Bensalem in the Pennypack ward and that my companion would be Elder Todd Covington.  
  Yes it is true your dear boy Romulus Jones the magnificent mormon has been transferred out of Wilmington and into the outskirts of Philadelphia. I will miss Wilmington. I saw that place change from the bad lands to the most sought after place in the entire mission. I saw a ward that once avoided missionaries at all costs turn into a ward that was willing and able to help. I saw Sister Eubanks rise from a lowly crack head to an individual who truly sought for the betterment of mankind. I saw Shakira and Nina martinez both gain a testimony. I saw the faith of Jason Williams to be baptized despite losing his home and his friends. I saw Brother Clement shift from a huge burden to one of the greatest helps in the ward. I will forever be indepted to the area that I served in. I will forever love those that I knew. And I will be forever greatful for the trials and lessons that God gave me while I served with my heart, might, mind, and strength in that City. 
The ride into my new area was tough. I missed Wilmington. As we pulled up to our apartment (which is currently on Frankfor street next to the Blue line elevated rail.) I saw what appeared to be a brigade of female Ninjas walking down Folkroc street. Now I knew that Philadelphia was famous for many things but I never had heard Female ninjas to be one of them. Being so very puzzled i asked Elder Covington "what are Ninjas doing in the streets of Philadelphia." He responded with a chuckle and then an "Elder Evans those aren't ninjas they are muslims. Since that day I have seen nothing but muslims on our streets. 
A great deal of these individuals have no idea why they are muslims. Because Islam is a very poplar religion to convert to in jail it has become a tiny bit of a trend. Sadly a great deal of individuals simply convert to islam for protection in jail not knowing any of the excellent teachings of their own religion. When I ask anyone on our block if they want to here about the message of the restoration they simply respond with a "naw man im Mussssssslim." Yesterday I asked a man "what are some of the teachings of the Prophet Muhammed." The man looked puzzled and the glared at me and replied "Muhammed? No we believe in Jesus!"  
While Islam is prevelent around the southern quadrent of our area, catholicism is quite popular around the northern section of my area. anyone who is catholic is very old. This area is awesome though I love it so much. We've found alot of investigators since I've been here and we are working with a ton of less actives. Its my desire to find a convert or less active who will one day be as strong as president murray (who is also a convert.) 
Thank you friends for your thoughts on my behalf. I hope that you all enjoyed Batman the dark knight and know that I was with you in spirit. I hope someone took a picture. Well I have to be going 
Love elder Evans.    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Romulus is your first name? I thought it was Romney.

Anonymous said...

Rom-a-tom-a Ling-long-a, that's your name, right???? Hey, I LOVE that about the female ninjas!!! I would LOVE to have seen your face when you found out they were Muslims!!!! Priceless, man!!! Hey, Lucky says hi and he can't wait to get back so you can find the "surprise" poop he left you in your tennis shoes!!!! hehehehee Nancy Lucas