Romney In Wilminnton DE

Romney In Wilminnton DE

Saturday, July 5, 2008

June 16, 2008

Dear Family, Greetings from Wilmington, "where fathers day is the most painful and depressing day of the year." It is on this day throughout the city that the cries of children and the sorrows of women can be heard and seen whever one is located. I cannot imagine what it is like to not know my father. In some homes fathers day is the only time that children ever get to see their dads. It is the only day of the year where the Jails are filled with children all of which are there visiting the patriachs of the family, speaking to them through a phone and viewing them through a three inch slate of plexi glass. While mothers day was one of the most sought after days throughout all of my mission, fathers day was one of great depression. The joy that I experienced talking to my family has been matched with the sorrow I felt being away from my dad on fathers day. The sorrow of the day for me reached its pinicle in sacrament meeting when all of the children of the primary got up and stood on the stage. Some gazed over the crowd in amazement, others ran around, and a selective few sang. It was at that point that I realized that this was my first year away from my father. I was alone. Others all around me experienced the that is a given during fathers day. Families were united and yet there was a continent that was dividing me from my father. Oh how I missed the joys that were inherently related with fathers day. Oh how missed my dear old dad. I knew that he was missing me and I had missed him. There was nothing I could do. I needed to be on this mission. It was the thing that I was suppossed to be doing. As I sat depressed watching the primary fathers day presentation a feeling came over me that I will never forget. My mind hearkened back to the story of christs last hours on earth. It was there during the Garden of Gethsamne that his fathers spirit departed from him. He had been aquantainted with grief and sorrow for the majority of his life. He was mocked by pharisses and saduccees throughout his ministry. He lived in meager circumstances from the time he was a child. Born in a stable to a impovirished family. The lowest of the lows hated him. Yet throughout his life and up until his last few hours on earth he always had the comfort of his father in heaven. He was indeed the closest human being ever to his father in heaven. He had never departed from his father. Regardless of this fact, however, he was forced to leave his dads prescence. It was neccessary. He was forced to endure the trials and hardships of everyone. He was forced to experience the sorrows of me missing my father. He was forced to experience the depression of children who lacked fathers. It was neccessary for him to experience all things. His fathers spirit had to leave him. God surely missied his son and his son surely missed him. More than a continent divided him from his son. The sins of all mankind divided he and his father. It was after this moment I was once again grateful to be on a mission. I was once again grateful to see the hand of god in all things. I love this mission. it has changed me and I know it can change all who allow it to.

No comments: