Romney In Wilminnton DE

Romney In Wilminnton DE

Thursday, July 10, 2008

July 9, 2008

Dear Family, Greetings from Wilmington "where the fourth of July is just another day to get high." Wilmington cities residence are perhaps the most unpatriotic individuals I have ever seen. I don't think I saw anyone that morning dressed in red, white, or blue. Most of the people we saw were wearing their standard outfit of six year old shoes, torn up jeans, and a shirt from the Goodwill that says "Jesus fest 2002 Do you have the faith?" Throughout the whole day I reflected many times about what freedom really meant. I was on this mission which by all means and standards of the world took away ones freedom. I could not watch TV, talk to my family, or even take a break. Yet I felt the most free that I have ever been. I looked around at all of the people that I served and saw the vices of all those I saw. Their choice to use drugs or their decision to have a child out of wed lock all resulted in constraint. Their choices their agency had constrained them to a life time of poverty. While I was free to sore, free to excel, and free to live life the way that I want to all because of a simple choice to serve a mission. Later that day I attended a true soul BBQ at Ophelia Waters, a well educated convert of about a year and a half. her family was filled with a bunch of characters and I could not understand the jokes that they told. I really wished that i would have seen the nutty professor or Madies family reunion before my mission so I could understand black humor. However, Elder Witt and I did manage to get some very good referrals from the BBQ. I want you to know that I never "just chill" any dinner appointment that I am at. We always teach a lesson or ask for refferals. If you guys ever have the missionaries over make them teach you a lesson. Members have an obligation to striaghten out apostate missionaries. The next day we hopped out of bed and headed to ward correlation. There our ward mission leader Brother Horn asked us and brother clement (who is now a ward missionary) to go and teach a less active by the name of Lamonica Robinson. Sister Horn then warned us that she had four autistic children and to watch out especially for the one that was named Butchy. As we approached the house of Lamonica Robinson we heard some rucuss but did not think that it would be to bad of an experience. We Knocked on the door and Lamonica opened and graciously allowed us to enter. we entered the hall way and there was nothing too peculiar. The room looked a tad bit disheveled but it was endurable. Then suddenly three children entered the room and began to punch each other in the head. They smelt of burnt hair and body oder and soon their fight began to be more and more intense and boiled over. Soon enough we were in the midst of this battle in an attempt to break it up. However, it was done in vain. Eventually the fight was broken up by Lamonica and the three boys went there seperate ways. We continued through to the back room. As I went I thought to myself "didn't sister Horn say that there were four children." At the moment that I thought that surely sister Horn was mistaken we reached the stair well. at the corner pedestall of the stair well there was a child curled up like a gargoyle. as soon as we made eye contacted the gargoyle sprang from his pedestool. For a few moments time stopped. and then the next thing I know I was down on the ground getting destroyed by Butchy. Tune in next week for more stories from Wilmington and Elder Evans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dressed up for the Fourth of July. I wore blue jeans, a white undershirt and I had a red liner inside my empty wallet where my money would have gone (if I'd had any money). ;)

Was Lamonica raising those children all by herself? I imagine that's difficult for her -- perhaps someone from the ward could babysit for her for an hour each week, just so Lamonica can get an hour just doing something that she enjoys. I hear it's pretty tiring to try to raise four young children all on your own, especially if one or more of the children has particularly difficult problems and consequently requires more time and attention.